Membership is free to all residents and ratepayers – those who live within the area administered by the Masterton District Council (MDC), as well as to people who live outside the District but pay rates to the MDC.
An annual subscription of $120 per family is available for those not eligible for free membership.
An annual subscription is for 12 months. The annual amount of $120 is able to be paid by installments = $20 for two months. A renewal of the membership, annual or installment payment option, is from the expiry date of the previous payment.
SMART Library Services
SMART Libraries (Shared and Managed a Region Together) is a shared library service between Masterton, Hutt City, Porirua, Kapiti, WelTec and Whitireia Libraries. All members of the Masterton District Library are able to access the 600,000 items in the collections of SMART Libraries through the service desk, online or by visiting the libraries in person. Reservations are free of charge across SMART Libraries.
How to Join
In the Library
- Adult Membership: A document with your current address in Masterton or proof of your ownership of a property.
- Young Person (under 16 years of age): Caregiver or parent must sign and accept responsibility for the use of the card.
- Out of Area: An annual subscription of $120 per family is available for those not eligible for free membership. An annual subscription is for 12 months. The annual amount of $120 is able to be paid by installments = $20 for two months. A renewal of the membership, annual or installment payment option, is from the expiry date of the previous payment.
You may join the library online by clicking on the button below after you have read and accepted the membership conditions. Your membership card number and password will be emailed to you.
Conditions of Membership
- Borrowers under 16 require a signature from a parent of guardian. This person will be responsible for any fees or charges incurred from the use of the card.
- Corporate organisations may join the library. Please ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Members must produce their library card in order to borrow any items.
- Items may be renewed up to twice as long as no reservations are pending.
- Renew items by coming to the library with your card or issue slip, by telephone during opening hours (you will need your card or issue slip), or online using your card and a PIN.
- Use of the after hours chute is at the borrowers risk. Items remain your responsibility until returned through the computer system on the next working day.
- Overdue fines are charged for the late return of items.
- If you change your address or other contact details please notify us.
- If you lose your library card please notify us immediately. Items borrowed before the loss is reported remain your responsibility.
- A charge may be made for the repeated loss of cards.
- Borrowers are responsible for any items borrowed on their card and for any fees or charges that arise from its use.
- Membership details are confidential and will not be disclosed to any other parties.