Masterton missed its skating. So much so that a carnival was announced for the Town Hall in August 1910. Prizes were on offer for various skating techniques as well as for costumes. Newspapers were quick to point out how popular the sport was around the country, and that this event would surely bring back the craze to Masterton. Seats for spectators and skates for participants were all available to be reserved, and W. J. Berrill of the Carterton Skating Hall wrote a letter to the editor of the Wairarapa Age in defence of the effects on the floor that roller skates would have. A few days later it came out that Berrill was in fact the organiser of the Masterton carnival, and there were to be 12 exciting events including trick skating, races and even a potato race which involved a race to fill a bucket the fastest. The music for the night was to be provided by the Masterton Battalion Band and together with the costumes was promised to be “one of the most fascinating sights ever witnessed by a Masterton audience.”
The evening was a roaring success. Although the weather was bad and there were plenty of counter attractions on, the floor was at capacity. The floor was perfect and the programme was on time.
In October, the Wairarapa Age talked about a craze in which people were constantly attempting to break records – many by skating continuously for days on end. It was pointed out that Masterton wouldn’t see any examples due to the lack of a rink.
It wasn’t until the following season, Mr Kidd of Greytown fixed a lease of the pavilion at the old showgrounds (Cameron and Soldiers’ Memorial Park) in Dixon Street for use as a skating rink.
In late May 1911, Masterton finally got a rink again. The floor was specially prepared, the skates were brand new, and attendants were on hand in a special beginners’ room to help those who were new to the pastime. Private tuition was available and three sessions a day were on offer. After a lighting issue caused the opening night to be postponed, the rink was well patronised. The promoters of the rink had their work cut out for them though, as they were running rinks in both Greytown and Masterton, and having to share opening hours between the two. This was highlighted when the Masterton rink had to close on a Thursday, as all staff were required at a skating carnival at the Greytown rink. A children’s session was added to the Masterton schedule on Saturdays, and the overall low prices charged were well spoken of. Masterton South Brass Band was charged to play on the occasional evening session. The 1911 season ended quietly, and in April 1912 talk was starting of a new skating rink opening for the town, as it was lagging behind the rest of the country in skating facilities. The 1912 season came and went, and still there was no rink for the locals to skate on.