The first Wairarapa newspaper was Richard Wakelin's short-lived Journal, published in 1867. No copies have survived.
The Mercury was published in Greytown from 1867 until 1872, when it changed its name to the Wairarapa Standard. It continued publication until 1942, but few copies remain after 1886. The Wairarapa Archive has microfilm of these two papers from 1867 until 1886.
Masterton's first newspaper, the Wairarapa News and Valley and East Coast Advertiser was published in 1874, later combining with the Newsletter to form the Wairarapa Register. The Wairarapa Free News was briefly published in 1878. The Wairarapa Archive holds some copies of these newspapers on microfilm.
The Wairarapa Daily was first published in November 1878, changing its name to the Wairarapa Daily Times in 1892. The Wairarapa Star commenced publication in 1881, changing its name to the Wairarapa Age in 1902. The Wairarapa Daily Times and the Wairarapa Age combined in 1938 to form the Wairarapa Times-Age in 1938. The Wairarapa Archive holds microfilm of the Wairarapa Daily/Times and Wairarapa Times-Age from 1879 to the present, and bound copies of the Wairarapa Star/Age from 1896 until 1938.
The Wairarapa Archive index of local stories in the Wairarapa News and the Wairarapa Times-Age is available here.