Joining the Library
Membership is free to all residents and ratepayers - those who live within the area administered by the Masterton District Council, as well as to people who live outside the District but pay rates to the MDC.
Those living outside the Masterton District are able to use the library if they pay an annual subscription of $120.00 per family. For convenience a second card can be provided for family use at the cost of the card - $3.
This subscription may be paid at 2 monthly intervals if required. This will be charged at $20 a time for a total cost of $120 per year. The subscription runs for the year so renewal is from the date of previous expiry NOT the date of payment.
SMART Library Services
All members have access to SMART membership and can reserve online to borrow from the 600,000+ items available across the SMART libraries (Hutt City, Porirua, Kapiti, Weltec and Whitireia). They can also visit in person, and borrow or return items directly from any of the 23 branch libraries.
How to Join
In the Library
You will need to show personal ID along with proof of address. eg. a bank statement, power, phone or rates account showing your current address.
Young Persons (under 16 years) - a parent or caregiver must sign and accept responsibility for the use of the card.
You may join the library online by clicking on the button below after you have read and accepted the membership conditions. Your membership card can be collected from the Circulation Desk with proof of ID and address.
Conditions of Membership
- Borrowers under 16 require a signature from a parent of guardian. This person will be responsible for any fees or charges incurred from the use of the card.
- Corporate organisations may join the library. Please ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Members must produce their library card in order to borrow any items.
- Items may be renewed up to twice as long as no reservations are pending.
- Renew items by coming to the library with your card or issue slip, by telephone during opening hours (you will need your card or issue slip), or online using your card and a PIN.
- Use of the after hours chute is at the borrowers risk. Items remain your responsibility until returned through the computer system on the next working day.
- Overdue fines are charged for the late return of items.
- If you change your address or other contact details please notify us.
- If you lose your library card please notify us immediately. Items borrowed before the loss is reported remain your responsibility.
- A charge is made for replacement of lost cards.
- Borrowers are responsible for any items borrowed on their card and for any fees or charges that arise from its use.
- Membership details are confidential and will not be disclosed to any other parties.